[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 5 09:16:06 GMT 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 18:09:23 +1300
Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paludis fails with fatal error on every "paludis" command after adding
> SuperHeron's "exherbo-misc" repository, because... I haven't manually
> added a master repository on which that repository depends?

Yup. And yes, we know this isn't very nice. You're welcome to find
whoever's supposed to be implementing R^2 and threaten, bribe or beg
them to prioritise it.

> At the very least, perhaps it's improper for this to be a fatal error.
> Perhaps the text it emits is too terse as well: e.g.,
>
>   * Repository 'SuperHeron-misc' depends upon 'mono', which is not
> configured (paludis::ConfigurationError)
>
> What's 'mono'? I know it's an unavailable repository, now. I didn't
> then. Rephrasing this, ala:
>
>   * Repository 'SuperHeron-misc' requires repository 'mono', which is
> not configured (paludis::ConfigurationError)
>
> ...would have helped a great deal.

That's trivial, so I've done it, although it's not really a proper fix.

> > {*} Exherbo Wiki. Is this in the cards?
> >
> > Exherbo will never have a wiki. Wikis are horrible.
>
> What? Wikis are entirely in keeping with Exherbo philosophy of
> distributed development: in this case, distributed documentation
> development.

No, wikis run entirely contrary to the Exherbo philosophy of not
accepting contributions that haven't been reviewed.

The problem with wikis is that most of the information on them is
misleading, harmful, out of date or just plain wrong. They're a dumping
ground for bad advice written by people who don't properly understand
what they're writing, and when users naively follow that advice we have
to waste huge amounts of time fixing the mess it inevitably causes.

> Do you suggest alternatives? If not, what's to hypothetically halt any
> Exherbo user from posting an unofficial Wiki: say,
> "http://exherbo-wiki.org "?

If you do that we'll just ban anyone who uses it from all the official
support channels.