[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Sess leycec at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 06:13:58 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 18:42, D.J. Capelis <djcapelis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 21:21, Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> O.K.; let's put it like this. I'm a post-graduate information retrieval
>> researcher. The open-source C++ Wikipedia indexer (ANT) we leverage for
>> ranked retrieval over all roughly three million articles of the English
>> Wikipedia corpus consumes about 10ms per average query consisting of 2.3
>> words.
>>

> Unrelated: Where are you doing your post-grad?  Just curious.  :)

Information Retrieval; University of Otago; Dunedin, South Island, New
Zealand; or, these guys:

  http://www.inex.otago.ac.nz/

A cozier working group closer to the South Pole you'd be hard-pressed to
find. ;}

> 10ms. Three million articles. Now, Inquisitio isn't indexing article-length
>> text. It also isn't indexing three million exheres. (Not on my machine,
>> anyway!) Can't we do better? And if not, why not? It's slowness really is a
>> bit of a pain.
>>

> I have a feeling the response here is going to be "patches welcome"
>
> Which frankly, might be a good way to get yourself involved if that's
> something that'd interest you.
>
> ~D.J.

You got it. I've begun posting git patch-bombs to "desktop-unofficial." That
doesn't help Inquisitio much. But with so much unavailable, it's one exheres
at a time for me.

Humbly yours,
Cecil