[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Malinka Rellikwodahs aelmalinka at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:57:40 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 00:37, D.J. Capelis <dev at capelis.dj> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 20:44, Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Who doesn't consider stability interesting? I do. (Not as much as, say,
>> Debian developers. But I do.)
>
> I think the key might be that it's not nearly as interesting until it
> actually might have a chance of happening.

;)

>> Yes, of course. But is it reasonable to install a X windowing manager
>> without an X server? (FVWM, in my case.)
>
> I think it is, actually.  A windowing manager can run on another machine's X
> server IIRC.

It is quite possible to run X based applications on a machine with no
X server, I've done this quite a few times when dealing with remotely
administered machines that have no monitors hooked up to them, and
just forwarded the X applications through ssh to my local machine.

>> It's about what the average user can handle.
>
> I think at the moment Exherbo doesn't cater to or intend to cater to such
> users.  Which isn't to say no one ever will, but simply that it hasn't been
> a priority and as far as I've heard, still isn't.  Average users are a hard
> problem to tackle when you haven't fully worked out the basics.  (Then
> they're still a hard problem to tackle.)

quite frankly when a distribution starts to look at how to "handle"
average users it starts to loose it's appeal to me (maybe I'm the only
one) because in order to handle average users power users end up
loosing control, if I wanted an OS to hold my hand the whole way I
would still be running windows or similar as my main OS, but I'm not
because I got sick of fighting with how the OS developers thought you
should do things.

>> Humbly yours,
>
> Perhaps it's a culture clash, but you might find that signing your messages
> this way is perhaps taking humility a leap too far.

I have the same feelings about the phrase "in my humble opinion", but
then again, usually I just smile at the small ironies and move on