[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Benjamin R. Haskell exherbo at benizi.com
Fri Mar 5 05:56:07 GMT 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Sess wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 18:10, Malinka Rellikwodahs <aelmalinka at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 23:44, Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't recall receiving incorrect answers from "eix", but submit
> > > it may have happened. Once. Maybe twice. On the whole, I would
> > > happily pay for faster response times with imperceptibly reduced
> > > precision.
> >
> > I have to respectfully disagree here, specially considering that
> > decisions about system stability are going to be made off of the
> >

> O.K.; let's put it like this. I'm a post-graduate information
> retrieval researcher. The open-source C++ Wikipedia indexer (ANT) we
> leverage for ranked retrieval over all roughly three million articles
> of the English Wikipedia corpus consumes about 10ms per average query
> consisting of 2.3 words.
>
> 10ms. Three million articles. Now, Inquisitio isn't indexing
> article-length text. It also isn't indexing three million exheres.
> (Not on my machine, anyway!) Can't we do better? And if not, why not?
> It's slowness really is a bit of a pain.

You're discounting the preprocessing that was done to make that
possible.  And what are the update characteristics?  I assume that's on
a fixed snapshot of Wikipedia.

There was a thread on the paludis list about this topic (eix vs
inquisitio speed) within the past 18 months[1].  Might have more
information for you.

The answer to "why not?" is that no one particularly cares enough to
devote the development effort to increasing the performance of this
particular aspect of the system.

Personally, I settled on writing my own update-eix hook for paludis, and
as I stated in the discussion[2] I use eix only for cursory searches.
It certainly doesn't handle my paludis configuration properly.

--
Best,
Ben

[1] http://lists.pioto.org/pipermail/paludis-user/2008-December/000720.html