[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Malinka Rellikwodahs aelmalinka at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:49:51 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 00:21, Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I don't recall receiving incorrect answers from "eix", but submit it may
>> > have happened. Once. Maybe twice. On the whole, I would happily pay for
>> > faster response times with imperceptibly reduced precision.
>>
>> I have to respectfully disagree here, specially considering that
>> decisions about system stability are going to be made off of the
>
> O.K.; let's put it like this. I'm a post-graduate information retrieval
> researcher. The open-source C++ Wikipedia indexer (ANT) we leverage for
> ranked retrieval over all roughly three million articles of the English
> Wikipedia corpus consumes about 10ms per average query consisting of 2.3
> words.
>
> 10ms. Three million articles. Now, Inquisitio isn't indexing article-length
> text. It also isn't indexing three million exheres. (Not on my machine,
> anyway!) Can't we do better? And if not, why not? It's slowness really is a
> bit of a pain.

I'm not disagreeing with that point, or with the statement that it
likely could and/or should be improved, and quite honestly I'm not
currently in a position to make any comments about where it is in
performance vs. where it can go.  But very much feel that in this case
at least speed is lower on the priority list versus, correctness of
results, and finding all the results, etc.