[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Sess leycec at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:21:21 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 18:10, Malinka Rellikwodahs <aelmalinka at gmail.com>wrote:

> my $0.02
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 23:44, Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 01:48, Ciaran McCreesh
> > <ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> The whole stable / unstable thing's a Gentooism that doesn't really
> >> work. When we reach a point where we consider stability to be
> >> interesting, we'll probably do something completely different.
> >
> > Who doesn't consider stability interesting? I do. (Not as much as, say,
> > Debian developers. But I do.)
> >

> I'm pretty sure his point here is that major things are going to be
> broken in Exherbo pretty regularly and therefore most of the exheres
> are still unstable.  It is mentioned that exheres-0 is actually an
> unstable api and will be renamed if it ever stablilize leaving
> exheres-0 as the testing api.

Point well taken.

> "eix."
> >>
> >> Because it gives correct answers.
> >
> > I don't recall receiving incorrect answers from "eix", but submit it may
> > have happened. Once. Maybe twice. On the whole, I would happily pay for
> > faster response times with imperceptibly reduced precision.
>
> I have to respectfully disagree here, specially considering that
> decisions about system stability are going to be made off of the

O.K.; let's put it like this. I'm a post-graduate information retrieval
researcher. The open-source C++ Wikipedia indexer (ANT) we leverage for
ranked retrieval over all roughly three million articles of the English
Wikipedia corpus consumes about 10ms per average query consisting of 2.3
words.

10ms. Three million articles. Now, Inquisitio isn't indexing article-length
text. It also isn't indexing three million exheres. (Not on my machine,
anyway!) Can't we do better? And if not, why not? It's slowness really is a
bit of a pain.

> >> You are welcome to put it in your own repository, and you can have your
> >> own repository listed in ::unavailable-unofficial.
> >
> > Sweet idea. Exherbo empowers. Thanks for the time, Ciaran; and take care.
>
> and on this note I'm going to leave off with, Exherbo so far is many
> times better than any distribution I've had to use, despite it's
> obvious lack of polish in some areas and other areas that are yet to
> be finished, it works very well, and puts control of the system back
> in hands of the user, while still having the power to automate the
> tasks that should be automated, very good job.

Agreed. And well said.

Humbly yours,
Cecil