[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Malinka Rellikwodahs aelmalinka at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:10:06 GMT 2010

my $0.02

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 23:44, Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 01:48, Ciaran McCreesh
> <ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:38:58 +1300
>> Sess <leycec at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > {*} Stable exheres. There aren't any. Most exheres are known
>> > unstable and marked as such, or otherwise known stable (...for most
>> > architectures for most distros) and still marked unstable.
>>
>> The whole stable / unstable thing's a Gentooism that doesn't really
>> work. When we reach a point where we consider stability to be
>> interesting, we'll probably do something completely different.
>
> Who doesn't consider stability interesting? I do. (Not as much as, say,
> Debian developers. But I do.)

I'm pretty sure his point here is that major things are going to be
broken in Exherbo pretty regularly and therefore most of the exheres
are still unstable.  It is mentioned that exheres-0 is actually an
unstable api and will be renamed if it ever stablilize leaving
exheres-0 as the testing api.

>> > {*} "inquisitio." Still orders of magnitude slower than Gentoo's "eix."
>> > Ideas why?
>>
>> Because it gives correct answers.
>
> I don't recall receiving incorrect answers from "eix", but submit it may
> have happened. Once. Maybe twice. On the whole, I would happily pay for
> faster response times with imperceptibly reduced precision.

I have to respectfully disagree here, specially considering that
decisions about system stability are going to be made off of the

>> > {*} Non-free firmware. My discrete Radeon HD4330 video
>> > card requires non-free firmware, freely available at:
>> >
>> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/<http://people.freedesktop.org/%7Eagd5f/radeon_ucode/>.
>> > I'd like to see non-free firmware optionally available via some
>> > repository (if not conflicting with Exherbo policy) or otherwise
>> > discussed in Exherbo documentation.
>>
>> You are welcome to put it in your own repository, and you can have your
>> own repository listed in ::unavailable-unofficial.
>
> Sweet idea. Exherbo empowers. Thanks for the time, Ciaran; and take care.

and on this note I'm going to leave off with, Exherbo so far is many
times better than any distribution I've had to use, despite it's
obvious lack of polish in some areas and other areas that are yet to
be finished, it works very well, and puts control of the system back
in hands of the user, while still having the power to automate the
tasks that should be automated, very good job.