[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Sess leycec at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:09:23 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 04:39, Bo Ørsted Andresen <zlin at exherbo.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 04 March 2010 05:38:58 Sess wrote:
> > {!} Paludis fails spectacularly after attempting to sync against
> > SuperHeron's "exherbo-misc" repository.
> [...]
> > Solved by deleting the "/etc/paludis/repositories/superheron-misc.conf"
> I'd
> > manually added earlier. Simple, but I'd like to know why it failed this
> > catastrophically. (Enabling and disabling the "mono" option is of no
> help,
> > incidentally.)
>
> Because it needs its master repositories available. Options have nothing to
> do
> with it.

Paludis fails with fatal error on every "paludis" command after adding
SuperHeron's "exherbo-misc" repository, because... I haven't manually added
a master repository on which that repository depends?

At the very least, perhaps it's improper for this to be a fatal error.
Perhaps the text it emits is too terse as well: e.g.,

  * Repository 'SuperHeron-misc' depends upon 'mono', which is not
configured (paludis::ConfigurationError)

What's 'mono'? I know it's an unavailable repository, now. I didn't then.
Rephrasing this, ala:

  * Repository 'SuperHeron-misc' requires repository 'mono', which is not
configured (paludis::ConfigurationError)

...would have helped a great deal.

> {*} Exherbo Wiki. Is this in the cards?
>
> Exherbo will never have a wiki. Wikis are horrible.

What? Wikis are entirely in keeping with Exherbo philosophy of distributed
development: in this case, distributed documentation development.

Do you suggest alternatives? If not, what's to hypothetically halt any
Exherbo user from posting an unofficial Wiki: say, "http://exherbo-wiki.org
"?

> > {!} No "baselayout-2" or "openrc" exheres. Disappointing, but acceptable.
> > note, however, the latest version of "udev::arbor" issues this warning
> four
> > (...or five) times on startup:
> > The udev init-script is written for baselayout-2!
> > Please do not use it with baselayout-1!.
>
> Don't use the init script. It's just sourced by other udev scripts and
> whoever
> bumped udev was too lazy to move it. We don't care much about baselayout or
> its init scripts at all.

I'm getting that impression. ;}

Thanks for the comments, Bo. Have a warm week!

Humbly yours,
Cecil