[Exherbo-dev] Shiny new annotations

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 19 19:09:33 GMT 2010

I've made some fairly big changes to how annotations are handled in
Paludis. Yell at me if you notice anything weird happening.

You now have a new feature to play with. Let's say you've got some
suggestions like this, where it usually makes sense to have both or
neither:

    suggestion:
        dev-perl/SomeLibThing [[ description = [ for foo send-email ] ]]
        dev-perl/OtherThing   [[ description = [ for foo send-email ] ]]

You can now do this:

    suggestion:
        dev-perl/SomeLibThing [[
            description = [ for foo send-email ]
            group-name = [ foo-send-email ]
        ]]
        dev-perl/OtherThing   [[
            description = [ Needed for foo send-email ]
            group-name = [ foo-send-email ]
        ]]

which will allow the user to --take / --ignore / suggestions.conf both
dependencies in one go if they want to.

Names should be [a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_-]* for now, and bear in mind that
names are 'global', so 'git-send-email' is better than 'send-email'.

Someone may wish to bring exheres-for-smarties up to date (it also
says that blocker annotations don't do anything, which they do).
There's a full list of annotations in the eapis/exheres-0.conf file.