[Exherbo-dev] [RFC] Exherbo for embedded systems
codehero at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:17:51 GMT 2009
Exherbo is a compelling "concept" to port to this field. Here are my thoughts:
1) Geared toward files in userspace portion of deployed firmwares or images.
* Excludes bootstrap or bootloader development.
2) Package management must respect userspace dependencies on kernel
3) Maintain repositories of cross compiling packages
4) Maintain repositories of minimal skeleton rootfs'
5) Define separate tracks for "server" systems and for "handheld" systems
6) Fine-grained control over package installation size
7) Facilities for integrating custom packages and skeleton rootfs
1) Community: DIY, willing to break things
2) Tools: paludis and friends simplify the management of root filesystem
3) Package Management (SUMMER): Enforces small, minimally sized package sets
1) Not path of least resistance: OpenEmbedded already has an extensive
repository of cross compiling packages
2) No support from board vendors
3) Cross compiling is not a priority in Exherbo's current repositories
1) Is it possible to leverage existing OpenEmbedded (OE) packages?
2) Is it better (not easier) to go down this path, rather than just contribute
More information about the Exherbo-dev