[Exherbo-dev] Profiles proposal

Bo Ørsted Andresen zlin at exherbo.org
Thu Nov 19 23:22:25 GMT 2009

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> Each parent can revert things in preceding parents. Every
>> subdirectory has .. as implicit parent.
>>

> I hate this. It means we have to work out when to stop, which is by no
> means entirely obvious.

So parents files with one parent per line?

> One thing that's not been addressed: how does this work across multiple
> repositories? We probably want a way of letting supplemental
> repositories define their own profile bits (defaults, suboptions etc)
> in a way that meshes nicely with the main profile.
>
> Just have the mangler look both in arbor/profiles/foo/bar and
> supplemental/profiles/foo/bar when it's using a profile that mentions
> "foo/bar" as its path thing?

Having the mere addition of another repository alter the default options
for all
packages is nasty. Maybe just looking at profiles/foo/bar for the
repository of each
package and all that repository's masters will work? First master first
and the
repository last.