[Exherbo-dev] Option default to on

Michael Croes mycroes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:13:14 GMT 2009

Ingmar Vanhassel schreef:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:59:34PM +0100, Michael Croes wrote:
>
>> I guess you want to avoid what gentoo has these days with sdl: it has an
>> option video, audio and joystick, and if any of them is not enabled then
>> it'll start warning you that you're not supposed to turn these options off.
>> Obviously, the right approach here would be to default them to on and
>> there's one simple solution: prepend a "no" to the options, so it becomes
>> novideo, noaudio, nojoystick (for sdl). You can do the same thing, just
>> prepend "no" and the default off means that it's actually on ;-)
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael
>>

> no* options stink.
>
> Top-posting doesn too. ;)

I was actually considering removing the entire message I was replying
on, but I felt top-posting was good enough for my superior solution :-D
. Honestly, I don't like no-options either, but when the defaults are
insane no-options and use -* make for a decent combo...

>> Gaute Hope schreef:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I have been following the development of Exherbo for a while and
>>> written a few packages, my name is Gaute Hope and I am norwegian. That
>>> should be the necessarry facts.
>>>
>>> You probably noticed that I was asking the same thing on #exherbo
>>> yesterday, but I still haven't gotten it all clear; the problem is: I
>>> write a few packages and in addition to generic options like X, sdl or
>>> so on; I also want to include a few more obscure ones. According to
>>> Exheres for smarties I shouldn't really do this, and leave them to
>>> their defaults. What I want to do is to add these options, but let
>>> them be on by default, if '-flag' doesn't exist in options.conf. That
>>> way the user wouldn't have to manually turn on features that 90% of
>>> the users would want anyway. And the user who doesn't want it, doesn't
>>> have to create a new exheres.
>>>
>>> ciarnm spoke of existing mechanisms for this, but I cannot find them -
>>> if they do.. consider this void and a pointer in the right direction
>>> would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> - gaute
>>>

> You want profiles/base/package.use.
>
> We don't have an IUSE-defaults equivalent because we haven't found a
> proper use-case. This default state for options belongs in profiles, not
> in the exheres.

How many profiles will there be by default? *All* gentoo profiles suck
regarding default options, so I always use -* and set what I like...
Also a lot of options have entirely different consequences for different
apps. Perhaps in combinations with sets it would be possible to create
sane defaults in profiles...
Regards,

Michael