[Exherbo-dev] scm goals

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:08:47 GMT 2009

What specifically do we want to be able to do with scm packages?

'revision' here is an SVN revision, a git commit ID or somesuch. Dunno
what we're doing for CVS, but assume a related concept exists.

* Identify with which revision an installed package was built.

* Let the user specify a particular revision to use when installing an
  scm package.

* Let the user specify whether or not to reinstall scm packages whose
  revisions haven't changed.

* Know, at user option, at pretend-install time whether or not a given
  scm package will really be reinstalled.

* Know, at user option, at pretend-install time which revision will be
  installed.

* Be able to fetch scm packages in the background, like we'll be doing
  for fetch.

Anything else?