[Exherbo-dev] Masks

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Tue Jun 23 20:26:29 BST 2009

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> How's about a new repo / profile masks format?
>
>     masks/
>         (arbitrary directories, nested)/
>             some-name.conf
>
> The arbitrary directories would probably just be 2009-06/, or possibly
> security/2009-06/, broken/2009-06/ scm/2009-06/ etc -- the package
> mangler won't care.
>
> some-name.conf will look like:
>
>     type = broken
>     author = Your Name <you at example.com>
>     summary = Das ist kaput!
>     description = Mostly won't build yet. Various options don't work \
>         at all.
>
>     cat-foo/bar[>=1.23]
>     cat-foo/baz[>=1.23]
>
> Values for type are scm, broken, testing, security.

What came to my mind (and I don't really know if it is a good or a bad
idea):
What if we tried to do an even more generalized approach?
Another thing we want to replace is the RESTRICT stuff, the replacement
suggested is something called attributes.
Now we could define those a bit wider and make masks attributes, too.

So for example an scm exheres could automatically gain the scm
attribute, which also means that it is automatically "scm-masked".
This kind of mask doesn't need a message anyway, since the message would
be "live version, use at your own risk" anyway (or something like that).

Then the set of metadata related to and needet for some attribute could
be defined per attribute, for example scm doesn't need any more
information, other attributes do.

In addition to the mask stuff, I think this would make it possible to
replace the keywords/platforms stuff, too.
(Not the suboption, the PLATFORMS variable.)

So an exheres could have the "stable: amd64 x86" attribute instead of
PLATFORMS="amd64 x86" (or similar).

It could also be possible to differ between global attributes and local
attributes. Some attributes maybe would make sense both as a global and
local setting, while others would be restricted to either global or local.

Just something that came to my mind, thoughts?

Bernd