[Exherbo-dev] Upcoming X.org changes

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Wed Jun 17 19:56:57 BST 2009

Gaute Hope wrote:
> Excerpts from Bernd Steinhauser's message of on. juni 17 20:29:16 +0200 2009:
>> Gaute Hope wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Ingmar Vanhassel's message of on. juni 17 18:27:48 +0200 2009:

>>> They won't :/ - dropped support for it. Maybe open-source support gets
>>> good enough at some point thou.
>>>
>>> I'm not using it, it neither works on/supports kernel[>=2.6.29] so its
>>> getting pretty useless somewhen anyway.
>> Which card exactly do you have?
>
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
In this case, you really should use the radeon driver.

>> Maybe you should start using the open source drivers.
>>
>> Apart from that, afaik, they will support the older chips in the future,
>> too, but won't release drivers for them every month (maybe 2 or 3 times
>> / year).
>
> But will they support newer versions of Xorg/kernel ? At least they
> don't do that yet.
Yes, but it might take some time.
>> Anyway, I guess you should try the open source drivers, refer to
>> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
>> to see what should work with your card with either the radeon or the
>> radeonhd driver.
>
> I do use them, and they work well for 2D and regular stuff - but I
> haven't got the patience for the ati mess anymore. But I think a version
> that works should be in the repos, it still applies for a large amount
> of (potential?) users.
They do work for 3D as well, and powerplay suppord is currently in work.
Really, if your card is supported as well as it is, you shouldn't use
anything but the open source driver, it will prevent you from messing
around a lot.

And if it can be avoided, we shouldn't keep old versions.
In this case, it doesn't make sense to keep the old version, because
everybody who can't use the newer Catalyst drivers, should basically use
the open source driver, since afaik every card that is not supported by
the Catalyst anymore, should be very well supported by the open source
driver.
The better way here is clearly to advice those people to use the open
source driver.
If they still insist on keeping the Catalyst, they might as well use
their own branch of the x11 repo or copy the exheres over to their own repo.
We aren't a major distribution and we make it very easy to use multiple
repos, so this shouldn't really be a problem. ;)

Anyway, unless you have a really good reason that xorg-server 1.5 should
stay, I'd say that it has to say goodbye.

Regards,
Bernd