[Exherbo-dev] Upcoming X.org changes

Gaute Hope eg at gaute.vetsj.com
Wed Jun 17 19:38:58 BST 2009

Excerpts from Bernd Steinhauser's message of on. juni 17 20:29:16 +0200 2009:
> Gaute Hope wrote:
> > Excerpts from Ingmar Vanhassel's message of on. juni 17 18:27:48 +0200 2009:
> >> Excerpts from Gaute Hope's message of Wed Jun 17 13:00:44 +0200 2009:

> >> Ok, will do that. It would be nice if you could let me know when they've
> >> fixed that. I'm not really interested in keeping track of the binary
> >> blobs. :)
> >
> > They won't :/ - dropped support for it. Maybe open-source support gets
> > good enough at some point thou.
> >
> > I'm not using it, it neither works on/supports kernel[>=2.6.29] so its
> > getting pretty useless somewhen anyway.
> Which card exactly do you have?

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

> Maybe you should start using the open source drivers.
>
> Apart from that, afaik, they will support the older chips in the future,
> too, but won't release drivers for them every month (maybe 2 or 3 times
> / year).

But will they support newer versions of Xorg/kernel ? At least they
don't do that yet.

> Anyway, I guess you should try the open source drivers, refer to
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
> to see what should work with your card with either the radeon or the
> radeonhd driver.

I do use them, and they work well for 2D and regular stuff - but I
haven't got the patience for the ati mess anymore. But I think a version
that works should be in the repos, it still applies for a large amount
of (potential?) users.

- gaute