[Exherbo-dev] Upcoming X.org changes

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Wed Jun 17 19:29:16 BST 2009

Gaute Hope wrote:
> Excerpts from Ingmar Vanhassel's message of on. juni 17 18:27:48 +0200 2009:
>> Excerpts from Gaute Hope's message of Wed Jun 17 13:00:44 +0200 2009:
>>> Keep xorg-server 1.5 for ati's catalyst 9.3 driver, later versions
>>> don't work with cards after radeon hd 2000.
>>>
>>> - gaute
>> Ok, will do that. It would be nice if you could let me know when they've
>> fixed that. I'm not really interested in keeping track of the binary
>> blobs. :)
>
> They won't :/ - dropped support for it. Maybe open-source support gets
> good enough at some point thou.
>
> I'm not using it, it neither works on/supports kernel[>=2.6.29] so its
> getting pretty useless somewhen anyway.
Which card exactly do you have?
Maybe you should start using the open source drivers.

Apart from that, afaik, they will support the older chips in the future,
too, but won't release drivers for them every month (maybe 2 or 3 times
/ year).

Anyway, I guess you should try the open source drivers, refer to
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
to see what should work with your card with either the radeon or the
radeonhd driver.

Regards,
Bernd