[Exherbo-dev] Masks

Bryan Østergaard bryan.ostergaard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 21:17:43 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Bernd
Steinhauser<exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de> wrote:
> Bryan Østergaard wrote:
>>
>> Personally I'd hate assigned-to.This is completely unrelated to masks
>> as such but I want to avoid any kind of ownership when possible.
>> Ownership pretty much screams "that guy is responsible so I shouldn't
>> / don't have to fix it" and I'd much rather just see everything as one
>> big pool of things to do with anybody being able to fix anything
>> (doesn't matter if it's an official Exherbo dev or somebody we've
>> never heard of before really).
>
> Hm, maybe I have been misunderstood here.
> I didn't see the assigned-to in a way that when somebody masks a package
> (maybe for security issues) he sets someone else to be responsible for it.
>
> I rather meant it as a statement that when someone tries to solve the issue,
> sets that as a note, so people know who they should contact in case they
> have to add something.
>
> For unwritten, we do that by modifying the comments.
> Obviously, that could be another way, maybe a better way, I'm not sure about
> it.
>
> Anyway, I didn't mean the assign-to to be something that introduces some
> kind of »mask-wrangling«.

Maybe summary and description can fulfill that purpose? 'assigned-to'
sounds very much like ownership to me and 'comment' or similar would
overlap quite a bit with 'summary' and 'description'.

If we decide to go with an extra field I'd prefer something like
'contact' instead of 'assigned-to'. The idea being that $somebody
might very well have important information or ideas related to mask
but that shouldn't stop anybody else from taking a stab at it.

Regards,
Bryan Østergaard