[Exherbo-dev] || dependencies

Ingmar Vanhassel ingmar at exherbo.org
Tue Jul 14 13:01:35 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 09:35:21PM +0200, Gaute Hope wrote:
> Excerpts from Arne Janbu's message of m??. juli 13 21:20:07 +0200 2009:
> > On Monday 13 July 2009 20:55:31 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > > Do we need || dependencies? If so, why? What are they used
> > for?
> >
> > I had a package that depended either on nautilus or on kdebase
> > (konqueror). That was acetoneiso2.
> >
> > I don't know how to solve this other than using a || dependency.
>
> And what about different opengl providers? They conflict and you need
> one of them. Adding all to || deps for all packages that need one
> doesn't seem like a good idea. PROVIDING/REPLACING/CONFLICTS variables
> do tend to cause a mess though.
>
> - gaute

I wasn't planning on allowing people to *build* against nvidia's opengl
headers, since they've caused problems in the past.

The nvidia-drivers exheres that I'm about to commit doesn't install the
opengl headers, only vdpau headers. It does let you select which libGL.so to
use at runtime, using eclectic. Which Philantrop confirmed to work well.

I especially like this since it means we won't have to call "eclectic
opengl" to set a different provider during the build, like Gentoo does,
with its assorted set of issues.

And none of those opengl "providers" collide so far.

--
Exherbo KDE, X.org maintainer