[Exherbo-dev] Replacing categories take 27 zillion

Erik Osheim erik at plastic-idolatry.com
Mon Feb 16 07:23:50 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:56:29PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Because then, depending upon what you mean by 'first 50', either Paludis
> has to hunt around in every single directory to find something, or if
> you add a new package called, say, xaa, you have to move a bunch of
> other packages because you've changed what the first 50 is.

Instead of using the first two characters or last two characters would
you want to use the first two letters of a hash key? That would
probably spread out packages pretty well, and would work no matter what
future naming schemes people come up with.

One problem with that is that humans would have a hard time figuring
out where stuff lives. Another is that computing a hash key is a little
bit slower than taking a substring. I'm not sure either of them is a
deal break though.

-- Erik