[Exherbo-dev] Replacing categories take 27 zillion

Bryan Østergaard bryan.ostergaard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 14:16:44 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Wulf C. Krueger <philantrop at exherbo.org> wrote:
> On Friday, 30. January 2009 21:50:44 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> Here's another idea:
>
> All of that sounds good to me...
>
>> * Name collisions that aren't caused by any of the above kind of things
>>   get solved by giving one of the packages a different name.
>
> ... apart from this part.
>
> Renaming packages is not really nice. After re-reading all threads about
> categories and how to get rid of them, I couldn't find any really good
> alternative either, though.
> Neither do I have a good idea about this.

I doubt we can avoid this tbh. Name clashes are going to happen and we
can't solve all of them in a nice way no matter which solution we
choose for that.

We might very well different programs that does more or less the same
thing using the same name. In that case categories doesn't really help
and other kind of 'namespaces' we can come up with is going to fail in
some cases.

Ciarans idea should solve most of the name clashes and it probably
doesn't get much better than that.

> I think we all agree about finally getting rid of categories as we currently
> use them, though, and we should really start doing something about them.

Fully agree. And maybe it's time to do something about this instead of
keep talking about new ideas that don't completely satisfy us. The
current idea is the best so far imo and if we think of something
better down the line we can change the layout at that point.

For now I've mostly given up on finding the 'perfect' solution but
even with a slightly imperfect solution we can do much better than the
current category based system.

My vote would be for moving on with this idea and seeing how it'll
work out in practice. Any (good) reasons we shouldn't go on with this?

Best Regards,
Bryan Østergaard