[Exherbo-dev] Is Exherbo for me?

Bryan Østergaard bryan.ostergaard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 09:59:33 GMT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Marcel Partap <mpartap at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi folks.
> before going to bed, i quickly wanted to ask here - the place i saw fit for
> the question which is 'is exherbo for me?'
> I have read some of the stuff on the website, especially the faq point
> saying it probably is not. Well if someone feels to answer this consider that
> - i am running gentoo linux since three years - always on the bleeding edge ;)
> - currently running git-sources, genkdesvn-scm and a bunch of local scm ebuilds (via paludis)
> - huge list of packages, several repos, mount points are a total mess (symlinks all over
> because i ran out of space on my 9GB root partition *long* ago ;)
> - i do like touching sources or filing/fixing bugs in any software i need to use
> - my new ati card has arrived and as i am pretty fed up with nvidia taking ages to make
> their binary blob track kernel ABI changes, i want to put that in tomorrow.
> - while the case is open, i want to rearrange my hard drives and migrate my system to a
> cleaned up 500GB disk. That needs to go fairly quick and i want to have all the packages
> available after the move. I'm willing to put some effort into it, but do not have much time.
> so eh, does anyone have advice, could i just set up a fresh exherbo installation in a
> chroot on the new disk and install all current packages in there with a managable amount
> of time? is exherbo even compatible to the main gentoo repo? could i perhaps even transfer
> binary packages for such monsters as gcc and openoffice? is the init system usable yet?
> any comments totally appreciated, good night ;)
> marcel.

No, Exherbo is not for you.

- We don't have all the packages you want (I believe we're still way
below 1000 packages all together).
- We're most certainly not compatible with Gentoo packages and it's
easier to write packages from scratch than trying to migrate Gentoo
packages most of the time.
- Our initsystem is completely missing.
- Our only user support consists of laughing at users and possibly
banning them if they're too annoying.

And finally..
- You're really going to regret it if you try to migrate binary
packages from Gentoo to Exherbo as we handle most things differently -
especially toolchain is handled quite differently.

So please take the advice from our homepage and wait until we decide
that Exherbo is ready for users.

Regards,
Bryan Østergaard