[Exherbo-dev] Is Exherbo for me?

Marcel Partap mpartap at gmx.net
Sat Nov 1 02:40:48 GMT 2008

Hi folks.
before going to bed, i quickly wanted to ask here - the place i saw fit for
the question which is 'is exherbo for me?'
I have read some of the stuff on the website, especially the faq point
saying it probably is not. Well if someone feels to answer this consider that
- i am running gentoo linux since three years - always on the bleeding edge ;)
- currently running git-sources, genkdesvn-scm and a bunch of local scm ebuilds (via paludis)
- huge list of packages, several repos, mount points are a total mess (symlinks all over
because i ran out of space on my 9GB root partition *long* ago ;)
- i do like touching sources or filing/fixing bugs in any software i need to use
- my new ati card has arrived and as i am pretty fed up with nvidia taking ages to make
their binary blob track kernel ABI changes, i want to put that in tomorrow.
- while the case is open, i want to rearrange my hard drives and migrate my system to a
cleaned up 500GB disk. That needs to go fairly quick and i want to have all the packages
available after the move. I'm willing to put some effort into it, but do not have much time.
so eh, does anyone have advice, could i just set up a fresh exherbo installation in a
chroot on the new disk and install all current packages in there with a managable amount
of time? is exherbo even compatible to the main gentoo repo? could i perhaps even transfer
binary packages for such monsters as gcc and openoffice? is the init system usable yet?
any comments totally appreciated, good night ;)
marcel.

--
 "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take
  your eyes off your goal."         -- Henry Ford (1863-1947)

  Change the world! Vote: http://hfopi.org/vote-future