[Exherbo-dev] Tags vs. categories

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 00:53:42 BST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:48:32 +0200
Michael Croes <mycroes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Adding tags would certainly be nice however it gets used, to answer
> the question that the thread asks I'd say that Tags vs. categories is
> apples vs. oranges, the real question should be categories vs no
> categories (and perhaps another question, tags vs no tags).

Categories, or something that fulfils a similar purpose, are necessary.

As for what the purposes of categories are:

* disambiguation. If categories go, we need some other way of uniquely
identifying something.

* avoiding having to load the entire tree's directory structure to do
anything useful. readdir is really frickin' slow.