[Exherbo-dev] Tags vs. categories

Michael Croes mycroes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 00:48:32 BST 2008

> But the question is, are tags merely a search / browse utility? Or are
> they used in identification too? Both of the above are only the former.

I think using tags as a means of identification is a bad idea because
that doesn't allow much freedom to change tags around. Both you're
tagging methods seem fine and as you said are (almost) the same for the
package manager.

Adding tags would certainly be nice however it gets used, to answer the
question that the thread asks I'd say that Tags vs. categories is apples
vs. oranges, the real question should be categories vs no categories
(and perhaps another question, tags vs no tags).
Regards,

Michael