[Exherbo-dev] default_src_install

David Leverton levertond at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:57:07 GMT 2008

We want a default for src_install.  Something like

default_src_install() {
    emake -j1 install DESTDIR="${D}"
    [[ -e README ]] && dodoc README
    [[ -e NEWS ]] && dodoc NEWS
    .
    .
    .
}

We use -j1 because installs generally don't parallelise nicely/at all, and
some things may need a die added, depending on what we decide about that.

As for the list of dodocs, the most common doc files on my Gentoo system¹
(disregarding variations) are README, ChangeLog, AUTHORS, NEWS, TODO, html,
MANIFEST, Changes, THANKS, BUGS, INSTALL, COPYING, LICENSE, HACKING, FAQ,
CREDITS, PKG-INFO, VERSION, examples, MANIFEST.SKIP, HISTORY, MAINTAINERS,
RELEASE, ANNOUNCE, PORTING, NOTES, PROBLEMS and NOTICE.

[1] for d in /usr/doc/*; do cd $d && ls -1; done | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

html and examples probably should be handled explicitly if necessary.  I'm not
sure if MANIFEST, PKG-INFO, VERSION and MANIFEST.SKIP are generally useful,
so I'd say leave those out. INSTALL, COPYING and LICENSE shouldn't  be
installed per Gentoo policy, and the reasons make sense to me.  The others
seem sensible enough to add, but there are quite a lot, so maybe we just want
the most common ones.

As for the variations, there are several packages that install the files with
different casing, or ending in things like .txt, .gz, numbers, or (for README
in particular) some other miscellaneous suffix.  Do we care about those?