[Exherbo-dev] Some functions die, some don't

David Leverton levertond at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 2 15:48:14 GMT 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 15:28:06 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Some functions die on failure, some don't. It's not obvious which is
> which. Currently, econf will die if it fails, but emake won't, and the
> do* stuff is anyone's guess.

(emake actually does die in exheres, unlike Gentoo.  I suppose this proves
your point....)

> 3) econf, emake etc all do die, and try_econf doesn't.

I prefer this one - dying is probably what people want most of the time, so it
should be the least cluttered.  The only disadvantage that I can see is that
you don't get to specify a detailed message, and the backtrace is somewhat
less useful than it could be because it refers to loadsaveenv rather than the
original source.

> 4) We keep all the existing functions the way they are, and start using
> d_exconf, d_exmake, try_exconf and try_exmake whilst deprecating the
> old lot.

While this might be less confusing for people coming from Gentoo, I don't
think that should be a reason to avoid what would otherwise be a cleaner
solution (in general, not just for this issue).