[Exherbo-dev] Some functions die, some don't

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 15:28:06 GMT 2008

Some functions die on failure, some don't. It's not obvious which is
which. Currently, econf will die if it fails, but emake won't, and the
do* stuff is anyone's guess.

How about switching to variants? The possibilities are:

1) econf, emake etc only die on 'abnormal' failures. For configure or
make failing, they just return non-zero. Then, we introduce functions
named d_econf, d_emake etc that do die.

2) As 1), but econf_d and emake_d.

3) econf, emake etc all do die, and try_econf doesn't.

4) We keep all the existing functions the way they are, and start using
d_exconf, d_exmake, try_exconf and try_exmake whilst deprecating the
old lot.

Discuss!