[Exherbo-dev] Attempted to install empty directory

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Tue Aug 26 22:14:58 BST 2008

After I got this message again, after a 2h compile run (and NO, that is
NOT funny!), I would like to propose to improve the handling of this.

Currently, the merger checks for empty directories before merging the
image to the live filesystem and dies, if there is any.
That is way more, than this issue deserves.
If anything, this would just piss off people, but the benefit is rather low.

Imagine some user trying to install OOo (or Koffice, anything big) and
it fails at the very end, just because the maintainer didn't test all
option combinations if they could cause empty dirs.

So, I think, we should introduce a more sensible way to handle this,
because it is idiotic to use an atom bomb to blow up a cat.
(Warnings, espam (yes, we don't like that, but we were about to improve
it, right?), whatever...)

Regards,
Bernd