[Exherbo-dev] Renaming

Ingmar Vanhassel ingmar at exherbo.org
Mon Aug 18 10:09:03 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 04:38:07AM -0400, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Bryan Østergaard wrote:

>>> It's highly nit-picky, but since the other traffic on this list seems to
>>> indicate movement toward a non-{Exherbo developers-only} release, I
>>> couldn't
>>> resist sending this.
>>>
>>> I find it annoying that you settled on the British, variant spelling of
>>> 'license(s)'. Google puts license over licence at a ratio of 5-or-6 to 1
>>> (5:1 pluralized [+licenses/+licences], 6:1 singular [+license/+license])
>>> and
>>> that jumps to 100:1 if you include software (software +license vs.
>>> software
>>> +licence).
>>>
>> Most of the Exherbo developers are European and speaks british
>> english. We find it highly annoying having to typo licence all the
>> time.
>>

> Sorry. Didn't mean for that to sound hostile (not sure that it did, but I
> can't quite infer the tone of your response). I'm easily annoyed. As I
> mentioned, it was very nit-picky, so I'm not surprised to not change
> anyone's mind, and your rationale certainly makes sense.
>
> But, my original annoyance lead (and leads) me to wonder more generally
> about Exherbo's user-centered goals. (The spelling thing came to mind as
> something end users might find irritating.) Plus, the web page that told me
> (and the rest of the world) not to join this list seemed 100%
> developer-centered. I was just wondering how/when the following section
> from the exherbo.org front page (which seems directly confrontational to
> the idea of supporting users) would change:
>
> ""
> OK, I Want to Try Exherbo
>
> No you don't.
>

> Yes I Do
>
> OK, maybe you do, but we don't particularly want you to try it because we
> don't want to deal with you whining when you find that absolutely nothing
> works. Exherbo isn't in a fit state for users. We might get there one day,
> but it's not a priority. Right now, all we care about is getting it into a
> fit state for a small number of developers.
> ""

Well, as Kloeri stated in his "Our goals" mail, we don't want to have to
worry about an upgrade path, about things working always & everywhere,
etc. These days we break things often, though not often enough, and that
allows us to improve the basic building blocks of exherbo fast & lots.
So in that sense we don't want people using exherbo.

That said, it's clean enough that there are people using exherbo, people
who don't subject us to lots of expectations, and who do submit patches
as can be see in our git repositories.
That's sort of what we envisioned when writing that on the site, I
think.

Know that there's a limited team of developers, all of whom want to
spend their time developing, not spend their time explaining why package
Quux isn't in arbor yet.

> I assume it will it always be a very developer-centric distro. But, maybe
> someone's already thought about grander plans. Or maybe "users" means
> "developers" and "developers" means "Exherbo developers".
>
> Best,
> Ben

Well, as far as I can see, most of us are working on Exherbo exactly
because we want to have a Linux distro that *we* like to use.
Just like any other piece of software.

Most of us have had good & bad experiences with users in the past. If
someone is the sort of user that gets upset when we want to spell
LICENCES the way we always do, we rather discourage them upfront from looking
at exherbo than deal with their whining afterwards.

If you want have problems imaginging bad experiences with users, I
suggest you have a look at what effect untempered expectations has on
users, say for plasma in KDE 4, or amongst the reactions from Gentoo users
who expect KDE 4.1 in the tree the day it's released.

We love this project way too much to let that sort of thing happen in
exherbo. :-)