[Exherbo-dev] Renaming

Benjamin R. Haskell exherbo at benizi.com
Mon Aug 18 09:38:07 BST 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Bryan Østergaard wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008, David Leverton wrote:
>>
>>> 1) The licenses directory is now known as licences
>>> 2) The LICENSE variable is now known as LICENCES
>>> 3) The SRC_URI variable is now known as SOURCES
>>>
>>> Enjoy.
>>>

>> It's highly nit-picky, but since the other traffic on this list seems to
>> indicate movement toward a non-{Exherbo developers-only} release, I couldn't
>> resist sending this.
>>
>> I find it annoying that you settled on the British, variant spelling of
>> 'license(s)'. Google puts license over licence at a ratio of 5-or-6 to 1
>> (5:1 pluralized [+licenses/+licences], 6:1 singular [+license/+license]) and
>> that jumps to 100:1 if you include software (software +license vs. software
>> +licence).
>>
> Most of the Exherbo developers are European and speaks british
> english. We find it highly annoying having to typo licence all the
> time.

Sorry. Didn't mean for that to sound hostile (not sure that it did, but I
can't quite infer the tone of your response). I'm easily annoyed. As I
mentioned, it was very nit-picky, so I'm not surprised to not change
anyone's mind, and your rationale certainly makes sense.

But, my original annoyance lead (and leads) me to wonder more generally
about Exherbo's user-centered goals. (The spelling thing came to mind as
something end users might find irritating.) Plus, the web page that told
me (and the rest of the world) not to join this list seemed 100%
developer-centered. I was just wondering how/when the following section
from the exherbo.org front page (which seems directly confrontational to
the idea of supporting users) would change:

""
OK, I Want to Try Exherbo

No you don't.

Yes I Do

OK, maybe you do, but we don't particularly want you to try it because we
don't want to deal with you whining when you find that absolutely nothing
works. Exherbo isn't in a fit state for users. We might get there one day,
but it's not a priority. Right now, all we care about is getting it into a
fit state for a small number of developers.
""

I assume it will it always be a very developer-centric distro. But, maybe
someone's already thought about grander plans. Or maybe "users" means
"developers" and "developers" means "Exherbo developers".

Best,
Ben