[Exherbo-dev] Goals for Exherbo

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 00:10:38 BST 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 00:54:49 +0200
"Bryan Østergaard" <bryan.ostergaard at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Better -scm handling
>   - < ciaranm> better -scm handling is the 'rewrite to -scm at ID' stuff
>   - Ciaran seems to have a good idea about where this needs to go.

Fleshing this out... I think it can work like this:

* We have a pkg_scm_revision function that outputs a string (git commit
ID, svn revision, probably a timestamp for CVS...).

* When installing to exndbam, -scm is rewritten to -scm at the-revision.

* Operators and orderings ignore the @the-revision bit.

* We can combine this with src_fetch_extra to do --reinstall-scm
if-revision-changed, and show things in the dep list as "Will be
reinstalled only if the revision has changed". This means we don't need
to do src_fetch_extra to get sensible --pretend output.

> * Parts
>   - Basic idea described at
> http://ciaranm.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/solving-the-server-headers-libs-use-flag-problem/
> but needs to be defined properly.

I'd like to see some examples of how packages would be converted to use
this.

> * Native support for CPAN, Gems and other similar package repositories
>   - This will most likely save us from writing and maintaining quite a
> few exheres.
>   - We might be able to index some of these external repositories for
> Unavailable.

Indexing them in Unavailable is basically zero cost if Paludis knows
the formats already.

> * Working annotations
>   - Not sure what's broken/working wrt. annotations but somebody needs
> to find out

The parser parses and then ignores them. Nothing's done with the
annotations -- they don't even show up in --query etc.