[Exherbo-dev] Shiny new scm exlibs

David Leverton dleverton at exherbo.org
Sat Aug 9 21:17:52 BST 2008

Attached is a new SCM exlib framework, with backends for subversion
and git.  The aim is to move the SCM-independent code into a common
place, to reduce duplication and provide a more common interface and
feature set.  The framework also makes it easier to checkout multiple
repositories in a single exheres, which is occasionally useful, and
there is code to support the proposed src_fetch_extra and pkg_scm_info
phases, for when they are implemented in Paludis.  Basic usage is

    SCM_TYPE="git"
    SCM_REPOSITORY="git://git.pioto.org/paludis"
    require scm

(yes, with the require at the /end/); more complex things can be
discovered by reading the code.

These exlibs have only been very lightly tested, and don't have every
single feature from the old Gentoo-derived ones, but they have
everything that I consider important. :-P  Feel free to comment,
suggest improvements, convert your favourite packages to use them¹,
contribute backends for other SCMs, etc.

Discuss!

[1] They're not yet in arbor, though... I'll commit them if no-one
complains too much in response to this mail.