[Exherbo-dev] 'X' option flag

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Fri Aug 8 21:16:18 BST 2008

This is something, that bothered me, when using Gentoo, and it starts
with Exherbo, too.

As you may know, the "X" flag is used in many ebuilds and exheres.
The problem is, that the flag is not at all self-explaining, and there
is only one description. (Which maybe you can override, but I've yet to
see that.)
Sometimes it is used to build against stuff from X, sometimes, it is
used to indicate, that a gui will be build, sometimes the meaning is
something completely different.
My suggestion is to split that flag up, depending on what it actually does.
For stuff that builds against xorg (xine-lib for example), I would
suggest using the option flag "xorg".
For guis, I would introduce the "gui" option, in cases, being more
specific, would help, too.

Regards,
Bernd