[Exherbo-dev] I broke everything, and you get to fix it

Mike Kelly pioto at pioto.org
Tue Aug 5 12:37:13 BST 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:01:25 +0300
Ali Polatel <polatel at itu.edu.tr> wrote:

> Rather than having per-category or per-repository defaults for
> specific fields, it's more logical to make common-metadata.exlib a
> special exlib which will always be inherited if it exists. It's order
> can be: repo/exlibs/c-m.exlib, cat/exlibs/c-m.exlib,
> pkg/exlibs/c-m.exlib

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that some fields (like BUGS_TO)
will almost always be useful to have specified on a higher level than
the package level, but many others (like SUMMARY / DESCRIPTION) won't.
I wasn't saying there should be any special mechanism for any of the
specific fields. Rather, I was suggesting a general mechanism for using
the general settings for fields first, then overriding them with more
specific ones when available. For example, this require statement:

  require common-metadata

might source these files, in this order:

  /exlibs/common-metadata.exlib
  /packages/category/exlibs/common-metadata.exlib
  /packages/category/package/exlibs/common-metadata.exlib

Bash would override the setting of any generally set metadata variable
with a more specific one, if available.

--
Mike Kelly