[Exherbo-dev] I broke everything, and you get to fix it

Ali Polatel polatel at itu.edu.tr
Tue Aug 5 12:01:25 BST 2008

Mike Kelly yazmış:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 05:06:22 +0100
> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:53:26 +0100
> > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > * Go through your repositories and sed DESCRIPTION to SUMMARY. I've
> > > done arbor, and probably broken stuff in the process. I've also done
> > > ciaranm
> >
> > ...and as an example of how to use the new metadata, with per-package
> > exlibs (which I suggest calling 'common-metadata.exlib' in every
> > case):
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6olrln
>
> How would things work if you had, say:
>
> exlibs/common-metadata.exlib:
>   BUGS_TO="me"
>
> packages/some-cat/exlibs/common-metadata.exlib:
>   BUGS_TO="someone else"
>
> pacakges/some-cat/package/exlibs/common-metadata.exlib:
>   HOMEPAGE=....
>
> I would think it might be useful to have per-category and
> per-repository defaults for some of these fields (like BUGS_TO). Right
> now, does require just source the 'best' exlib found? Or does it source
> them in some sort of order?

Rather than having per-category or per-repository defaults for specific
fields, it's more logical to make common-metadata.exlib a special exlib
which will always be inherited if it exists. It's order can be:
repo/exlibs/c-m.exlib, cat/exlibs/c-m.exlib, pkg/exlibs/c-m.exlib

This is more useful because packages can share more fields. An example
is twisted packages. All have the same HOMEPAGE, LICENSE and
UPSTREAM_RELEASE_NOTES.

Ali Polatel