[Exherbo-dev] baselayout and/or alternatives

Mike Kelly pioto at pioto.org
Tue Oct 2 17:16:33 BST 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:36:13 +0100
stephen at neon.attenuate.org wrote:

> At some point we're going to have to decide what to do regarding
> baselayout and/or any alternative to it. Gentoo's baselayout-2 is
> getting more and more crackful, and using it would tie us to them.
> Personally I'd be in favour of forking from baselayout-1.x -- it
> works, hasn't got quite as retarded yet, and I know the code
> base to some extent.

I was thinking along those lines as well. Only qualm I have with
the current baselayout-1.x is how it's kinda dumb about hotplugging my
wlan0 device... In theory, my issue shouldn't be too hard to fix, but I
haven't delved too deep into the code. (basically, things that need net
aren't started when I plug in my pcmcia card because they're waiting on
eth0 to start, rather than waiting on anything providing net to start).

> It wants discussion before we spend massive effort on it though. Any
> suggestions for alternatives, or opinions on what would work best?

I think someone (kloeri?) also brought up the option of using
upstart[1] on IRC a week or so ago.

[1] http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

--
Mike Kelly