[paludis-user] Paludis/transaction merging

Rich Freeman r-paludis at thefreemanclan.net
Tue May 1 20:38:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM, denisgolovan <denisgolovan at yandex.ru> wrote:
> I think we can make something similar with the help of aufs and a bit of help from cave.

Interesting idea.  Might not be easy to test things like daemons that
way, but for simple applications it should be straightforward.

However, by the time somebody implements all of this, it might make
more sense to just target btrfs instead.  Just create a snapshot of
root before doing a merge, or merge into a new snapshot.  The only
thing that gets tricky is if you have multiple filesystems involved,
as the snapshots won't all be "atomic" in this case (I'm not sure
offhand exactly how atomic btrfs snapshots are in the first place -
especially with stuff like open files being written to, etc).

Obviously btrfs isn't quite production-ready yet, but from what I've
heard it has had a burst of activity in the last year.

Rich