[paludis-user] Removal of deprecated clients

Tom tom at giftssoft.com
Wed Feb 16 19:06:50 UTC 2011

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,

Tom Trauth

-----Original Message-----
From: paludis-user-bounces at lists.pioto.org
[mailto:paludis-user-bounces at lists.pioto.org] On Behalf Of Ciaran
McCreesh
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:01 PM
To: paludis-user at lists.pioto.org
Subject: Re: [paludis-user] Removal of deprecated clients

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:56:21 -0500
"Tom" <tom at giftssoft.com> wrote:
> While on the topic of "install" vs. "resolve", is there any advantage
> to "cave uninstall spec" over "cave resolve !spec"?  According to the
> cave-uninstall manpage, they are identical.

Unlike the 'resolve' case, I really do think that 'uninstall' being the
same as resolving a block isn't in the least bit obvious. It certainly
wasn't clear when we were designing the resolver that we'd be able to
get it to work that way...

Also, 'uninstall' does some sanity checking on the inputs. If you try to
uninstall something that isn't installed, you'll get an error, whereas
for blocks it'll do one of a number of different things depending upon
whether the spec matches anything.