[paludis-user] cave and get installed packages with their versions

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 4 08:34:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 11:03:37 +0400
Vasiliy G Tolstov <v.tolstov at selfip.ru> wrote:
> Hello. I need to get all installed packages with their versions like
> this:
>
> sys-libs/timezone-data-2010j
> sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5-r1
>
> How can i get it?

cave print-ids --matching '*/*::/'

will give you the full names of everything you've got installed.

Why exactly do you need the data in name-version form, and what should
be done for packages where there're multiple identical name-versions of
the same thing installed? Adding a --format parameter to print-ids
wouldn't be hard if there's a use case.

> (stupid way
>
> /usr/bin/find /var/db/paludis/repositories/installed -type d | sed
> 's/\/var\/db\/paludis\/repositories\/installed\///g' | /bin/grep -v
> 'virtual/' | /bin/grep '/'
> )

Which is utterly wrong, since not all installed packages live there,
possibly no installed packages live there, and there can be things in
there that don't map to installed packages.

> cave show  -t package -f '*/*::installed' displays ambiguous output.

If you're doing that, use ::/ rather than ::installed, since there can
be multiple installed repositories. Also note that you aren't allowed
to parse the output of most 'cave' commands, since we change the output
arbitrarily. Only the 'cave print-' commands are designed to be machine
readable.