[paludis-user] Minor hooks documentation patch(es)

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:53:22 UTC 2010

2010/1/18 Benjamin R. Haskell <paludis at benizi.com>:
> I didn't manage to trace the logic for how hooks get called in paludis,
> but using 'dev-util/lafilefixer' as a tiny example package that still
> has a defined src_configure(){}, it appears the correct names for the
> hooks are:
>
> ebuild_configure_{pre,fail,post} ('configure' not 'config')
>
> Is that correct?  The first attached patch fixes the docs if so.

Yep. The hook names for ebuild hooks are off the phase names. Note
that there're a whole bunch that aren't documented, not just
configure. It's not ideal. Eventually I'll concoct some hideous scheme
to unify all of the places that need to know about hook names.

> It also took me a long time to realize why my '.hook' hook wasn't
> working for ebuild_configure_post.  The second patch is a suggested
> reminder for dummies like me who gloss over the relevant chart at the
> top of the page.

That's supposedly a temporary limitation. There's a way we can get
.hook hooks to work from outside the main process, but I've just not
implemented it yet.