[paludis-user] Workaround for problem with distcc + outputwrapper

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 08:59:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 02:44:10 -0500 (EST)
"Benjamin R. Haskell" <paludis at benizi.com> wrote:
> > Sessions are something else. They're not related to reparenting.
>
> Interesting.  I've not done a ton of work with low-level forking/etc,
> so I didn't fully comprehend that.
>
> Nonetheless, the program I attached before still demonstrates the
> problem, even with double-forking.  And attached is an even more
> minimal program that demonstrates the problem.

You're doing the double fork wrong. The program should immediately
fork() upon startup, and the original process should exit without
waiting for the child. That way the child gets reparented to init.

> Sorry to beat a dead horse, but at this point I'm mostly curious for
> future reference.

Eh, it's only dying because I wasn't around much when the question first
came up.