[paludis-user] Paludis, ext4, delayed allocation, zero file length

Rodolphe Rocca maitrechang at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 13:42:27 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I have a gentoo system with kernel gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r1.

My /var partition is formatted as ext4 and mounted with default options
(so delayed allocation is enabled).

While upgrading some packages my system crashed. The crash in itself is
not related to paludis or ext4.

After a reboot and a regular fsck, I found out that the
/var/db/pkg/<category>/<package>/SLOT was empty (size 0) for a few
packages that paludis was installing during the upgrade phase.

This issue looks very much like the famous "ext4, delayed allocation and
zero file length" issue.

I've read many things about the subject, most of them written by the
author of ext4, Theodore T'so.

What I've read from Theodore and the fact that the corruption always
happen on the same file (SLOT) makes me think that there may be an issue
in paludis.

Maybe a forgotten fsync after writing the SLOT file ?

Thanks !

Rodolphe Rocca