[paludis-user] Paludis warning: Directory '/usr/portage/distfiles' owned by group 'portage'

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 15:32:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:24:37 +0100
Damian Nadales <damian.nadales at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I solve the problem pointed out by paludis in the following
> warning:
>
> paludis at 1237735014: [WARNING e.ebuild.userpriv_disabled] In thread ID
> '5583': [...]
>   ... When checking permissions on '/usr/portage/distfiles' for
> userpriv: ... Directory '/usr/portage/distfiles' owned by group
> 'portage', not 'paludisbuild', so cannot enable userpriv

Paludis expects /usr/portage/distfiles to be owned by whichever group
it uses for reduced privilege builds. Normally that's ok; however, as
soon as you Portage as root, it'll automatically go and clobber a
whole bunch of filesystem permissions without asking you. So your
options are:

* Fix it by hand and don't ever run Portage

* Set Paludis to use the 'portage' user and group for reduced privilege
  operations. http://paludis.pioto.org/configuration/environment.html
  explains how.