[paludis-user] Purpose of new checking phase?

Georgi Georgiev chutz at gg3.net
Thu Apr 16 01:18:22 UTC 2009

Quoting Ciaran McCreesh at 15/04/2009-20:50:49(+0100):
> > So, RMD160's take about 1m30s.  SHA1's take about 1:10.  But, I'd
> > expect computing both in a row on the same files would have a lower
> > total time, thanks to disk cache.  Are there other hashes that get
> > computed?
>
> We do whatever's in the Manifest.
>
> You might want to try c4954637fe7bb3 and see how much of a difference
> it makes for you. In some situations it might reduce the time required
> by a large amount.

Is it reasonable to only do one of the hashes instead? Filesize check +
1 checksum should be sufficient.

If RMD160 is available for a file, check it and that's it.
Otherwise check SHA256 if availabe.
Otherwise check SHA1 if availabe.
Otherwise check MD5 if availabe.
... etc.

--
/\   Georgi Georgiev   /\ Finally, Zippy drives his 1958 RAMBLER     /\
\/    chutz at gg3.net    \/ METROPOLITAN into the faculty dining room. \/