[paludis-user] Who wants contrarius?

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 14 18:16:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:53:48 -0400
"Dave Bender" <codehero at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at it, this code does seem quite elegant. But since there are
> no comments, and its hard for me to tell what's a function and what's
> a ctor, I can't really follow it, much less maintain it.

Well... Functions vs constructors shouldn't matter. And yes, the query
syntax takes a bit of getting used to, because we've gone for a way
that lets us deal with very powerful, very efficient, static checked
queries in a compact manner at the expense of you having to learn the
query interface first. We tend to go with things that make code easy to
maintain, not easy to learn.

As for comments... You've got the method name and method documentation.
We try to have as few comments in function implementations as possible
because if an implementation needs comments and can't be understood by
someone who knows the main API then it's probably too complicated.

If you aren't familiar with the main API, then yes, you'll get extremely
confused jumping in and trying to read method implementations.

> On the other hand, while crossdev is a not a pretty sequence of
> hacks, parts of it are accessible to the average embedded developer,
> such as platform parsing code. The ebuild/portage parts are obviously
> beyond comprehension or desire to comprehend.

Heh. You say that, but in practice it's only 'accessible' until you try
to change any of it. Then you find a simple, supposedly innocent change
makes everything fall apart. Cross toolchains on Gentoo are not at all
pretty.