[paludis-user] MAKEOPTS too high?

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:14:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:09:16 -0500
"David Pyke" <David.Pyke at csa.ca> wrote:
> When installing paludis (or other packages) I get the infamous
> message that my -j value is too high.  Right now I have it at -j5 and
> have a quad core processor with 2 gig of memory.
>
> I'm pretty sure my machine can handle the load.  Is there any way I
> can change the level of "too high" to silence the error?
>
> Perhaps paludis could take number of cores into account when it makes
> the decision?

Thanks to boost.python being a huge pig with insane amounts of macro
nonsense to make it work with ancient compilers, gcc needs something
like 512MBytes per process when building the python bindings. The
check in the Paludis ebuilds is there because I was getting sick of
people wanting to know why their kernel OOMed.

I'm not aware of any other packages using that check... Even other ones
that probably should...