[paludis-user] Solve "ss" and "com_err" blockage

Benjamin R. Haskell paludis at benizi.com
Wed Nov 19 11:08:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 19 November 2008 11:02:32 schrieb ext Qian Qiao:
>
>> In case anyone has the same problem, here's the solution:
>>
>> paludis --uninstall --permit-unsafe-uninstalls com_err
>> paludis --uninstall --permit-unsafe-uninstalls ss
>
> If you like borked systems, then yes. Uninstalling com_err breaks wget!!!! So
> don't tell people to uninstall com_err w/o telling them to fetch new stuff
> first.
>
> Bye...
>
> 	Dirk

Yes! Dirk's right. Don't go the --permit-unsafe-uninstalls route without
fetching first. I fell into this trap when I tried to resolve this block
about a week ago. (Wish I'd known about --dl-blocks discard).

But, if anyone gets into the same bind, the 'GET' alias installed by
dev-perl/libwww-perl is a simple way to fetch URLs that doesn't depend on
com_err ('curl' doesn't work either). I used the following (all one line)

GET 'http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2.tar.gz' > /usr/portage/distfiles/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2.tar.gz

Best,
Ben