[paludis-user] Status of contrarius

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Fri May 23 07:32:40 UTC 2008

On 5/23/08, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  > How? Can you please tell me how you do white test without using
>  > "ebuild" command, and without modify the ebuild file before each test
>  > (so there will be no leftovers)?
>

> You suspend and resume the build at the appropriate points.

How?
For example how do I suspend build after installed and before it gets
into my system?
And how do I digest?

>  > BTW: How do you change USE flag on command line:
>

> You don't.
>

>  > USE="X" paludis --install --preserve-world package
>  > Does not set use X for this command.
>  >
>  > This important if you want to test all USE combinations without
>  > modifying persistant configuration. so you can always return to known
>  > baseline after tests.
>

> You maintain different configuration sets for testing. Note that
>  testing all combinations is, in general, insane.

At first you told me that you don't have phases because you want to
force better QA.
Then when we discuss that you realize that my QA level is insane.
And I cannot achieve this because of lack of tools, that result in you
trying to force high QA level :)
Anyway, I can say now that I understand your view I won't bother you again.

> Your notion of testing is very much Ebuild and Gentoo specific, and
>  your notion of what Exherbo is trying to deliver just now is extremely
>  wrong...

I am sorry you see this that way.

Thank you for the discussion.
Alon.