[paludis-user] Adding ebuilds with paludis (WAS: Newbie questions)

Stephen P. Becker spbecker at gmail.com
Thu May 22 19:19:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 22:09 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 5/22/08, Stephen P. Becker <spbecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > > While you are working at it, you need to verify the result of each
> >  > > step. And of certainly don't want it available on your system before
> >  > > you finish!
> >  >
> >  > Then chuck a 'die' in the ebuild.
> >

> > Or do your development in a chroot where adverse consequences of
> >  installing to / don't really matter.
>
> Hi!
>
> Just to understand, are you one of the paludis developers? Just want
> to understand if this is formal point of view.

I am not a paludis developer.  I am, however, speaking from experience.

> As I don't think the overhead of chroot or preparing package that will
> effect --install world is correct during development of specific
> ebuild release.

Overhead of a chroot?  With how cheap disk space has become these days,
this should be a non issue.  Besides, surely you want to install
$APPYOUAREDEVELOPING to a userland to test if it actually works in
addition to getting past all the phases.

-Steve